Create Cinco de Mayo inspired recipes with RM culinary chef, Jan D’Atri.
Spicy Shrimp Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb. of medium shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Juice from one lime
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- Zero-calorie non-stick cooking spray
- Grab a medium bowl and whisk together lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and salt.
- Mix in shrimp until it is covered. Coat a skillet in zero-calorie non-stick cooking spray.
- Throw mixture onto skillet on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until shrimp is cooked thoroughly. Place two romaine lettuce leaves on top of each other.
- Put 4-5 shrimp pieces on the lettuce and top with salsa, if desired!
Makes about 4 servings.
- 1 cup fresh chopped tomato
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 tbsp firmly chopped onion
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp fresh or dried oregano
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Puree ingredients in food processor for smooth salsa or chop ingredients by hand for chunkier salsa.
- Add spices and chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or more to allow flavors to blend.
(makes about 1 serving of vegetables)
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower crumbles
- Splash chicken broth or water
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and tomatoes, and sauté until just tender, about 2-3 minutes, along with a little water or chicken broth.
- Add the garlic and cauliflower and sauté until the cauliflower is just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the vegetables and cook for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Add chopped cilantro and serve.
Makes about 2 servings.
Spicy Margarita Mocktail
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup of club soda
- 1 orange
- 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ jalape˜no pepper (sliced)
- Wet the rim of a tall glass and sprinkle salt on the rim. Pour ice and club soda in the tall glass.
- Slice orange and limes in half and squeeze juice in the glass. Add slices of jalape˜no peppers to your desired spice level. Enjoy!
(Makes about 1 serving)
Take a look at this spread perfect for a southwestern celebration like Cinco De mayo. And because it’s all diet friendly and delicious, this is food you can sink your teeth into. Hi I’m Jan D’Atri and this is clean eating the Red Mountain way.
Marinated shrimp lettuce wraps south of the border cauliflower rice, sensational salsa and a mocktail with a kick. Let’s get this party started. First up shrimp lettuce wraps. In a bowl combine the juice from one lime, a clove of minced garlic, and a half a teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder and salt blended well and then add one pound appealed and deveined medium shrimp to the marinade. Make sure the shrimp is coated really well. And then refrigerate for about 30 minutes so the marinade could do its magic. Then get a grill plate or skillet nice and hot and add the marinated shrimp. You just won’t believe the flavor this marinade adds to the succulent shrimp. Cook for two minutes and then turn the shrimp over and cook for another two. You can base the shrimp with the marinade left in the bowl for added flavor. When done, set them aside and let’s make the salsa that goes with the lettuce wraps. In a blender or mini chopper. Add one cup of tomatoes, three tablespoons of lemon juice, two tablespoons of fresh cilantro, a teaspoon of fresh or dried oregano, two glows of fresh garlic and a fourth of a teaspoon each of red pepper flakes and chili powder. Then finished with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Chop it is smoother, as thick as you want. I love to use his hand powered mini chopper from Kuhn. It’s the perfect kitchen tool for something like salsa and you can completely control the texture. Now that you’ve got the shrimp and salsa, all you need are fresh lettuce leaves to leaves perhaps should do it. Lay about four shrimp on the leaf. Then spread a little salsa over the top and wrap it up and relish the flavors of Mexico. Now for the tasty side Southwestern cauliflower rice a new favorite in my house. You won’t find many carbs or empty calories here. Just great flavors from fresh veggies and spices. And how nice that you can find prepackaged rice cauliflower in stores these days. You’ll need four cups or a one pound bag in a hot skillet out about a half a cup of chicken broth. Then add a half of a dice of medium sweet yellow onion. When the onion is softened, add two cloves of fresh garlic and then the rice cauliflower. Cook for a few minutes to soften. And then add two tablespoons of tomato paste. Half a teaspoon of smoked paprika, a fourth of a teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and cumin and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Give it all a good stir and then add two large dice plum aroma tomatoes. Now I add these last so they retain their shape and don’t over cook. Finally chop up some fresh cilantro about two tablespoons and add that to the skillet. Wow with a super satisfying flavorful side dish. You could make an entire meal out of this one. So now that we have our marinated shrimp and salsa lettuce wraps and our Mexican rice cauliflower, how about an icy refreshing beverage with a kick. This spicy Margarita mocktail is the perfect drink to wet the whistle guilt free. add about a cup of ice to a pitcher. Take a lime wedge and wet the rim of your glass. Then dip the rim and salt. Now to the ice. Add a juice of two limes, the juice of one large orange and a half of a fresh slice jalapeno. Finally, add about a cup of zero calorie seltzer water or club soda. This one’s lemon lime and it is delicious. Give it a stir and pour yourself a refreshing taste of the Southwest. It’s a guilt free celebration of the flavors we love courtesy of Red Mountain weight loss. For more great recipes for clean eating the Red Mountain way visit RedMountainweightloss.com
Don’t forget to download our mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for recipes on the go!