Whether you are vacationing to make new memories with your family, finding time to reconnect while working and traveling, or simply want to enjoy a new place, you don’t have to sacrifice your diet in order to enjoy your vacation.
1. Pack healthy snacks for day of travel.
Traveling to your destination can be stressful and it’ll be easy to pick up things at the airport or convenience stores (if you’re going on a road trip). Eat healthy while traveling by packing healthy snacks ahead of time. Here’s a few healthy snack ideas:
- Small sweet peppers
- Cut-up cucumbers
- Cut-up apples & oranges
- Cherry tomatoes
- Deli meat (no skin)
- Cut-up grilled chicken
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Protein bars – Exclusively available for purchase at Red Mountain. (Not approved for RM3® Weight Loss Window)
- Protein shake powder – Put individual servings of the powder in snack-sized baggies, then place all the baggies in a protein shaker bottle. This way, all you need to do is add water. RM Shakes are also available in to-go sizes and for purchase exclusively at Red Mountain.
2. Pack your suitcase with extra prepared meals to minimize eating out.
Restaurants offer large portions, and lots of unhealthy options so bringing your own healthy options eliminates temptation. If you’re going to eat out, we recommend eating out only once a day. This also saves more time for fun activities and less time sitting around waiting for food! Here’s extra meal ideas:
- Frozen grilled chicken, pork, turkey. Placing this frozen in the suitcase keeps other packed food cool during travel.
- Walden Farms® products – coffee creamer, salad dressings, barbecue sauce
- Oatmeal or fiber cereal
3. Get lodging that comes with a microwave and a fridge.
The key to stay on track with your diet while traveling is to have the necessary tools. With a microwave and fridge, you can store snacks and meals you bring from home as well as shop for groceries.
4. Shop at the grocery store at your destination.
Shopping for groceries allows you to stock up on other healthy options that you don’t want to pack. For example, alcohol* with zero-calorie mixers dismisses the temptation for sugary cocktails and other high calorie drink options.
*Alcohol is only approved on RM Lifestyle. Check out our recipes for fun mocktails!
5. Try fun restaurants but learn how to order.
Watch our Dining Out the Red Mountain Way videos for great tips.
- Skip the bread, ask the server not to bring a bread basket to your table.
- Bring your own Walden Farms® salad dressing.
- Ask for a to-go container right away, then put half your meal immediately into the container so you aren’t tempted to eat more than you planned. This can be kept in your hotel fridge for lunch the next day.
6. Keep yourself hydrated.
This helps your body work more efficiently and gives you a sense of fullness. Oftentimes, we mistake thirst for hunger. Bring a bottle of water or your water bottle with you, whereever you go.
7. Stay active.
We always recommend getting 150 minuts of fitness into your health regime during the week, and going on vacation is no different!
- Use the fitness center in the hotel or get a pass at a nearby gym.
- Use stairs instead of elevators.
- Talk a walking tour of the area.
- Rent bikes for a scenic ride.
8. Don’t forget your fruits and vegetables.
Remember to try to eat as many vegetables and fruits as you can while on vacation. If you’re traveling to new places, get local produce and try new flavors.
9. Limit yourself to a treat a day.
You’re on vacation after all! If you can’t say no to pineapple cake while escaping to Hawaii, just remember to indulge once a day.
10. Have a blast!
If you do plan to have some splurges, just remember to watch the frequency and practice portion control. The first couple bites taste the best.