Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Spread tomato slices in a single layer on a oven pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Roast for 3-4 hours.
- Heat soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until onions have browned.
- Add diced tomatoes, basil, thyme, chicken broth and roasted tomatoes.
- Bring to boil and let simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Transfer to a bender and puree until desired consistency is reached.