Corned Beef with Cabbage
- beef brisket weighed in 3.5oz increments
- cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of allspice
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- liquid smoke, to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper the beef and lightly dust with mustard.
- Put meat, onion, and spices into a crock-pot or large pot and cover with water. Add vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Skim the fat from the water as it rises.
- Add the cabbage to the pot and cook for an additional 1-2 hours or until the meat and cabbage are tender.